Beach movies can be travel movies, vacation movies, or even movies about true friendship. The Beach Company explores ten great beach movies, ranging from a movie about travel to movies about Jaws!
1. The Blue Lagoon (1980). This beach movie is about two children stranded on a desert island. This is one of Brooke Shield's best performances in a movie. The two grow up together, fall in love and have a baby. They then try and escape from the island. Will they survive?
2. Return to Blue Lagoon (1991). In Return to Blue Lagoon a mother and her child, as well as the child of the original Blue Lagoon movie, end up back on the deserted island. The mother dies trying to save the children, and the two grow up on their own. A group of people find them, but they decide to stay on the island, and end up having their own child.
3. Beaches (1988). Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey are best friends, and they have been since childhood. They have grown apart, but Barbara finds out she is dying, and the two reunite. They go to Barbara's beach house, to live out her last days. Bette Midler realizes she is going to have to care for Barbara's daughter once she is gone.
4. Blue Crush (2002). This beach movie is a surfing movie. A young girl has a dream of becoming a pro surfer, surfing on Hawaii's North Shore at a place called the Pipeline.
5. Couples Retreat (2009). In this beach movie, four couples travel to an island retreat thinking they are just going to have fun on the beach. However, they soon realize that they must take place in marital counseling, and try to work through their marital issues. This beach movie stars Vince Vaughn and Jason Bateman, and is a very comical movie.
6. Jaws (1975). Remember this beach movie about a shark invading Amity Island, and scaring everyone off the beach? Roy Scheider is the police chief, and he has to find a way to get the sharks away from the vacation spot. He teams up with Richard Dreyfuss, the shark expert, to undertake this task.
7. The Island (2005). In this island movie, the setting is a futuristic science fiction film. Supposedly, everyone who doesn't go to the island will be killed by a deadly virus. A lottery chooses who gets to go. However, is there really an island, or is this just a ploy?
8. Cast Away (2000). Tom Hanks has been stranded on a desert island after a plane crash. This movie takes place on a beach, as Tom Hanks fights to survive. He then tries to build and raft and make it back to civilization.
9. Nights in Rodanthe (2008). Starring Richard Gere and Diane Lane, this movie is set on a beach in North Carolina, at an old inn where Diane Lane has agreed to take care of the inn for the weekend. A storm threatens the inn, and the safety of its only two inhabitants, Richard Gere and Diane Lane.
10. Six Days, Seven Nights (1998). Harrison Ford and Anne Heche end up on a deserted island after Harrison Ford's plane crashes. He was taking Anne Heche back from her vacation to return briefly to work. This movie is about being cheated on, but then finding out there was someone out there better for you anyway. David Schwimmer is the boyfriend/cheater who cheats on Anne Heche while she is stranded on the island.