Basilica of Bom Jesus
UNESCO Heritage Site
Declared as a 'World Heritage Monument' by the UNESCO, this basilica is dedicated to 'Bom Jesus' or ‘infant Jesus' and houses the remains of the holy apostle St. Francis' Xavier that lies in a silver casket placed on a marble mausoleum. Its construction began in 1594 and was completed in 1605.
Church Of Our Lady Of Grace (A Part Of St. Augustine Monastery)
Church / Monastery | Historical Landmark
All that remains of what was once one of Old Goa's tallest buildings, is half of one of the twin towers of the Church of Our Lady of Grace that was built in 1602 and originally measured 40 meters in height. The monastery was abandoned in 1835, following the eviction of the Augustinian by the Portuguese and in 1846 the monastery and the adjacent college were torn down, leaving only the church behind which eventually collapsed in 1931. In the foreground, a statue of St. Augustine is still visible.
Church Of St. Cajetan
Church & Pastoral Institute | Historical Landmark
This church was built in 1655 on the lines of St. Peter's Church in Rome by Italian friars and is located in the same premises as the Pastoral Institute of St. Pius X.
Gateway of Adil Shah's Place
Located left of Viceroy's Arch, stands the remnants of the magnificent palace of Adil Shah (the last Indian ruler of Goa before his death and defeat in the hands of the Portuguese in 1510). This palace was demolished in 1820 to provide building material for Panjim. What remains is the gateway with steps leading to original the palace, which was pieced together by the Archaeological Survey of India following Goa’s independence.
Built in honour of Vasco da Gama, by his great-son, Governor Francisco da Gama , this arch marks the former entrance to Old Goa from the Mandovi river front that was used as the main point of entry by the Portuguese viceroys. The arch was rebuilt in 1954, however, few traces of the original constriction still remains.