We're closing on Christmas holidays and for many people that means hitting the beach. If you think that spending time at the beach is limited to just swimming, you have a lot to learn. There are tons of other great activities that can be enjoyed on the beach.
Here are some of the most fun things that you can do at the beach besides just going swimming:
- 1. Bonfire parties. Where fires are allowed on the beach, it's great to hold huge parties where people come to play music, dance, roast marshmallows and just have a great time.
- 2. Look for dolphins. Many beaches throughout the world offer the chance to see dolphins right from the shore if you know what you're looking for and when to look.
- 3. Write messages in the sand. You can write them big or small, say anything that you want and then take a picture that will last forever. These pictures can be made into unique postcards to send to the folks back home.
- 4. Play at the boardwalk. Many beaches have boardwalks where you can play arcade games, ride rollercoasters, eat fair food and enjoy free summer concerts on the sand.
- 5. Picnic. There are always a lot of food vendors near popular beaches but sometimes it's nice to pack yourself a really nice picnic with fancy cheeses and luscious fruits and to go indulge in at the beach.
- 6. Frisbee. This is a classic beach game and it is one that people never get tired of enjoying together. There are more advanced versions like Frisbee golf, extreme Frisbee and Aerobie but the old version will do just fine.
- 7. Hike! Many beaches offer nearby trails where you can hike to or from the water. This offers great exercise and the water is great for cooling down after the hike,
- 8. Fishing. It's one of the most relaxing things that you can do at the beach and something people have been doing here for centuries.
- 9. Read magazines. A beach vacation is supposed to be completely relaxing. Park yourself under a shade umbrella, catch a few rays and read some magazines or a cheap novel.
- 10. Build a sandcastle. From the simplest design to the most elaborate, sandcastles help you pass the time at the beach while doing something really creative and fun.
- 11. Look for seashells. You can troll the beach looking for seashells and colored glass. Take the best ones home with you and make jewelry or art with them so that you can always remember the fun that you had at the beach.
- 12. Go window shopping in the little seaside shops. The majority of beaches are located at beach towns. These towns typically have a bunch of little stores set up along the beach. Spend some time browsing when you're ready to get out of the sun.
- 13. Surfing. Or any other type of water sport such as kayaking, jet ski racing, waterskiing or kitesurfing. Get out on the water and really have yourself an adventure instead of just being lazy!
- 14. Go topless. There's something really brave about getting naked in public. It's an experience that can make you feel courageous and bold and one that should be tried at least once. Of course, you have to make sure that you're doing this at a nude beach otherwise you're going to get into some serious trouble!
- 15. Hula hoop. Or play catch. Or jump rope. Or fly a kite. Engage in some sort of child's play when you are at the beach using cheap toys that you can pick up at a nearby store. This will bring back some of the wonder of what it was like to go to the beach as a kid.
- 16. Write poetry. The beach has been inspiring poems and songs for centuries so you might as well join the tribe of people who like to write when they're by the water. Starting that novel you've always wanted to write or simply keeping a diary of the trip are other creative writing options at the beach.
- 17. Meet people. Beaches are filled with people so there's no reason that you can't make new friends. Games on the sand - like volleyball - make this easy but there are lots of ways to meet people at the beach.
- 18. Take photographs. The beach is a great place for getting good photos and those photos will be a great memory to take back from the trip. Wander along with your digital camera and see what there is to see.
- 19. Search for historic sites. Many beaches are located near places of historic importance which are marked with monuments or signs. You can find these in the most unexpected of places if you keep your eyes open. Military batteries on the water, historic lighthouses and places where battles once took place are all things that you can keep an eye out for.
- 20. Catch up on phone calls. With cell phones working almost everywhere these days, you should have no problem getting connected to others at the beach. It's a great place to catch up on phone calls while getting a tan - and you can make everyone you talk to jealous because of where you are!
- 21. Look for little critters. Most people who go looking for animals at the beach are looking for whales or seals or dolphins. Turn your focus to the little critters like the crabs and birds and jellyfish. Spend the day seeing how many different animals you can count.
- 22. Watch the sunset. This is one of the favorite things that people often do at the beach because it is such a sight to see.
- 23. Celebrate a holiday or special occasion. People often go to the beach to watch Fourth of July fireworks or to celebrate a honeymoon.
- 24. Daydream. You're sitting around at the beach with no commitments and nothing demand your attention and that's a great time to just hang out and daydream a little bit. Envision what you want your life to look like in five or ten years, where you wish you could travel or what you would do if you won the lottery.
- 25. Relax. You don't have to daydream or take pictures or do anything at all. You can just sit there and relax. You're on vacation after all!
Of course, the truth of the matter is that going to the beach is usually fun no matter what you do there because you're getting away from real life and enjoying a scenic travel destination. It's just nice to know that there are plenty of things to do besides suntan and swim while you're there!